[--- Reading Time: 2 minutes ---]

Did you notice a mistake on your taxes after you filed?  Depending on your situation, you may have to amend your return.  Don’t worry about math errors, the IRS will automatically correct those kinds of mistakes.  Filing an amendment is only necessary if you need to correct your income, filing status, credits or deductions.

Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

If you did your taxes at ezTaxReturn, there’s no need to download Form 1040X.  Just log in to your account at ezTaxReturn.com and use the “Amend my 2018 return” link on your myAccount page.  Amended returns cannot be e-filed but you can use our program to prepare your return then print and mail it to the IRS.  Don’t forget to attach any supporting documents used to make the changes.

Three-year filing deadline

You have three years from your original filing date to file Form 1040X to claim a refund.  That means, if you want to amend your 2015 return, you have until April 15, 2019 to get it done.

Amending multiple returns

If you need to amend multiple returns, you need to prepare a separate 1040X for each year.  Be sure to note the tax year on the top of each form and mail them in individual envelopes.  The mailing address varies depending on your filing state so check the form instructions to determine where to mail your return.

Form 1095-A errors

Taxpayers who received health coverage from the Health Insurance Marketplace were sent form 1095-A to file their tax returns.  However, some people may have received a second form because the original was incorrect or incomplete.  If you filed using the original form, you will need to amend your tax return.

You’re entitled to an additional refund

If you’re due a refund from your original return, wait until you get your money before filing an amendment.  Once you receive your refund, feel free to spend it how you see fit while you wait on your additional funds.

You owe more taxes

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed.  If you’re going to owe more money, you need to file your 1040X and pay the balance as soon as possible to minimize your interest and penalties.

Where’s My Amended Return?

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you check the status by using the “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool on the IRS website.